Learn beloved spirits of Shochu, nurtured by time and craftsmanship in the South of Japan
Date: 5pm (JST), Sunday, 16th May 2021
– 3pm (JST), Sunday, 25th October 2020 / Executed
– 10am (JST), Sunday, 8th November 2020 / Executed
– 4pm (JST), Sunday, 22nd November 2020 / Executed
– 4pm (JST), Sunday, 13th December 2020 / Executed
– 10am (JST), Sunday, 24th January 2021 / Executed
– 10am (JST), Sunday, 21st March 2021 / Executed
– 10am (JST), Sunday, 18th April 2021 / Executed
The building of the distillery is more than 100 years old. You’ll witness the historical Kura (Distillery) still active.
Shochu Master Distiller “Toji” and his craftsmen keep a tradition and produce Shochu by using the ancient production method. You can learn the method with a movie during the tour. It’s in the limited season of production of Shochu now and you also could observe the production process in real-time
Each brand has its unique flavor. Its craftsman introduces how you can enjoy Shochu.
Kagoshima is located in the most southern part of Japan mainland. Kagoshima is well known for the local spirits made from sweet potato, Shochu, and it is said that there are 114 Shochu distilleries and more than 2000 brands of Shochu in Kagoshima. Meijigura is located at the southern tip of Kagoshima with a historical distillery. You can enjoy the traditional production method of the unique liquor and the atmosphere of the building.
This is a virtual tour where you can feel as if you walk around in the Shochu distillery with your guide, Miki, a state-licensed guide and a certified Shochu navigator. She and a craftsman of the distillery will show you around there explaining about the traditional production methods and culture of Shochu.
Yoshie, the moderator of the tour is actually a Shochu Meister. She will moderate and support through the tour.
At the end of the tour, the craftsman shows you a unique liquor set for Shochu and tells you how to use it. In addition, you will learn how to enjoy Shochu in various kinds of ways.
So when the tour ends, you would be a specialist of Shochu in Kagoshima!!
Minimum 2 to Maximum 20 accounts/devices
JPY 1,500- /device
by Zoom with your device
24 hour before OR until the tickets are sold out
Tips & Note
The ticket for virtual tour includes
– English speaking online guide
This tour does NOT include
– Real guide
– telecom charge which occurs at your end
Please read before you book
– Cancellation policy: After purchasing the tickets, it is not refundable.
– If the tour is canceled due to bad weather conditions, a notice will be sent by e-mail before 6 PM (JST) 1 day prior to the tour. The guests will be able to reschedule/choose the alternative day or the tour fee paid will be fully refunded.
– Please download Zoom in advance.
– If any system problem occurs at our side, we will refund 1,500yen.
– We will not guarantee that any system problem occurs at your side. Please check your internet connection environment before the tour.
– The time is Japan Standard Time (GMT +9:00). To check the time zone difference between your country and Japan, you may refer to this time zone converte
About the host
Meijigura (明治蔵)/ Satsuma Shuzo
Satsuma Shuzo (薩摩酒造）is one of the most famous “Shochu” makers in Japan.
Master brewers skill, quality ingredients and good water are necessary to make good Shochu.
Our company policy is “quality first”
They are producing Shochu with care in accordance with this policy.
“Satsuma Shiranami (さつま白波)” is their signature label and well known world wide.
Kagoshima Office of Kyushu Association of Interpreters, Translators and Guide-Interpreters
Kyushu Association of Interpreters, Translators and Guide-Interpreters (K-iTG) is a certified organization as the first registered training organization in Japan by Japan Tourism Agency in September 2019 under the revised National Government Licensed Guide Interpreters Act.
Under such fast-changing circumstances, K-iTG aims to contribute to development in the international tourism business and to promote international goodwill.
As responsible members of the society, they have in mind to build good relationships with more groups and individuals and cooperate with them to fulfill the social responsibilities for promoting a better society in the future.